Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Um....Why is Lauren so much more good looking than Rosa?  (Read 5770 times)

Offline Vinnie107

• View Profile
Um....Why is Lauren so much more good looking than Rosa?
« on: February 11, 2012, 10:20:51 AM »
I mean...It's just mind blowing(Lauren is sexy~~ ;D
Oh and the the first thing comes to mind about the 53th ghost is " :othe hell..."
(I went all AVGN on the her- -|||
nice lines between Lauren and joey(I like joey,he is a bit like Dr.House[from House.M.D.])

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Um....Why is Lauren so much more good looking than Rosa?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 10:24:07 AM »
It's the smoking. She's got a lovely noir vibe thing going on.

Offline Vinnie107

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 10:47:30 AM »
yeah~she is “smoking” hot baby(pun intended....XD

Offline epmode

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 12:31:55 PM »
Lauren probably has the best voice actor in the series so it would be great to bring her back!

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 07:47:39 PM »
Dani Marco was great! Unfortunately she moved out to LA to do "real" actressy stuff, so it would be really hard to bring her back.

Offline Appesart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 09:44:00 PM »
Yeah, Lauren is a fantastic character, I miss her. On one hand I'd love to see more of her, on the other hand I live in the terror of being forced at some point to directly witness her demise, or the separation moment. I hope this will stay vague, because... I just couldn't take it. If I was Joey at that point, I think I would have hanged myself (with my tie, I'm sure it'd work).

Also the fact that she's the tougher character, but ended horribly badly, casts such an interesting shadow over Rosa. On one hand, as Rosa looks softer and more fragile, it feels a bit like the stereotypical young hero lost in the wilderness after the death of the hardened mentor (they never really had such a relation, but their contrast is a bit similar to that). On the other hand maybe she'd bend where Lauren would break.

And yes, I'm aware that an octopus would have typed a much more interesting post.

Offline wogoat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 12:39:03 AM »
Lauren was probably one of my favorite characters to work on back in the early concept art days.  As mentioned in some of the commentary bits, the flashback sequence to Lauren (which got fleshed out substantially and became Blackwell Unbound) originally took place later in the timeline after she had begun caring for Rosa and featured a significantly more stressed-out Lauren.

When the timeframe got changed, the most exciting thing was the chance to have her be free to be a bit more sexy and laid back because she doesn't have to put all of her efforts into suddenly being responsible for raising a small child.  She had a much greater variety of outfits to consider, I'm pretty sure you can unlock a bunch of sketches of them in the game.

And I agree, seeing more of her would bound to be pretty gut-wrenching, especially since we know where her fate leads, and it's not a pretty place.

Poor Lauren.

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 07:21:05 AM »
Hi Matt! :)

The ironic thing about Blackwell Unbound was that it was originally made as a quick, micro-budget way of getting a game out because Convergence was taking so long. I designed it in a week and finished it in about four months. Even still, it ended up being a fan favorite. You just never know.  :D

Offline Rognik

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 01:28:43 AM »
To directly answer the original question, I think Lauren is more appealing is because she is far more confident and out-going compared to Rosangela. Rosa stays in her little apartment, not having any real friends and barely knows her neighbours. If not for Nishanti, she would still be in her shell.

Lauren, meanwhile, is far more confident and independent. I don't think Rosa would probably have clung to her parents had they not died when she was young. Lauren might not be seen as being more social, but she still exudes... something that Rosa severely lacks. That is probably where some of her appeal comes from (and the killer VA doesn't hurt, either).

Offline Jazzy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 08:05:27 AM »
This topic keeps on popping up, I think I've even seen it on another forum. I might be one of the few that entirely disagrees (no offense, Dave :) ). Unbound was my least favorite of the four games, not that I didn't thoroughly enjoy it. I totally prefer Rosa to Lauren. She may seem nerdy and a bit introverted, but I relate to her more.

I'm not one to get into debates, just giving my view here. I disagree that smoking makes Lauren or anyone sexy. Sorry, I think it a nasty habit and I'm allergic to the smoke, it gives me an asthma attack, so maybe I'm biased in that way, but that's my opinion of it. 

I don't see Lauren getting out any more than Rosa. She only called her brother in the end, and seemed unwilling to accept the idea of being a medium until she had no choice. With each generation, they seemed more willing to accept it and do what they had to for the good of others.

Rosa, yes, had more exposure, being in 3 of the 4 games, but besides Nish, she went to the gallery and met the owner and the artist, and apparently partied with them all night (if you chose that option). She also met a lot of other people, some of whom she seemed to genuinely care about their well-being (Legacy comes to mind). And before Deception, she wanted to work on her web page for more exposure, and gave out business cards (IIRC). She wanted to be more well-known.