Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Blackwell on mac?  (Read 3750 times)

Offline amazinganna

• View Profile
Blackwell on mac?
« on: December 22, 2011, 02:32:53 PM »
does anyone know if this runs on a mac i just bought the new blackwell game but im having trouble installing it i couldnt find a tech specs on this website

Offline Manuel

• View Profile
Re: Blackwell on mac?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 08:21:06 AM »
Officially, the games are Windows only at the moment. That said, I just played through the whole series on my Mac using the (free) Wineskin Winery found at http://wineskin.doh123.com/. If you go that route, be sure to grab a Wine engine version earlier than 1.3.25 as there are sound problems with the newest Wine versions. 1.3.24 worked fine for me for all four Blackwell games (have not tried the remastered versions yet, but I guess these will work just as well).

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 09:10:14 AM »
Manuel's got it.  A mac port (and a Linux and iPad port) are very high on our "really want this" list.  With the AGS engine going open source this year, it's a more realistic possibility than it used to be.  It's still a massive task though.  The engine is over 12 years old, with lots of revisions, and it was never intended to be easily portable in the first place.  My wife Janet has experience with this kind of thing, and she wants to take a crack at a port once her current project is done.  Assuming somebody else doesn't beat us to it. :)

-Dave

Offline besterp12

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 04:28:21 PM »
Yeah, it should be doable now that the ports have started. I don't have a mac to test that port, but I've been playing around with a beta android port on my Galaxy Tab.  Most newer games I've tried have been completable on it even if a bit odd to control and there's a few glitches. Plus you can't save in some games because they haven't put in a virtual keyboard and the volume controls don't work in game.  But then the one droid port I found on the AGS forums is apparently just a port of the PSP port.  So it doesn't have normal touch controls, but instead uses something similar to the Monkey island ports to iphone.  (The screen works as a touchpad, you drag your finger and the cursor moves in that direction.  Then you tap when you want to click.)

The most I've done with the remastered Blackwells though was to load up Legacy and see if the dog leash would make it freak out.  Oddly, it worked fine. commentary and all.

It's going to take more work for the ports to be usable by the average user, but at least it's a future possibility now.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 04:47:38 PM by besterp12 »