Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: A bit pissed  (Read 5647 times)

Offline odie

• View Profile
A bit pissed
« on: December 18, 2011, 04:14:58 PM »
Hello,

as the threat title suggests, I am a bit pissed. I bought the Blackwell bundle from http://www.wadjeteyegames.com/blackwell-series.html for a bit less tan 20 because I played the 4th part of the series at a friends and really enjoyed it. I downloaded the 3 exes, installed them and tried to get it running. I knew from deception that video might be a problem, but I was not able to get it running in full screen. I always get a black screen with title music running and tried all the settings in the config tool. After 2 hours of frustration and surfing the net, I discovered the Indie Royale Bundle and that it includes the Trilogy for Steam. Just out of curiosity I bought it for the cheapest price of 3.01 (for which I would normally be ashamed), registered the key at Steam, downloaded the games and - tadaaaa - all 3 worked out of the box!

20 +2h vs. 3 and no problems

I like your games, I will start to play part 1 right now and I know I'll enjoy them but I just wanted you to know that I'm a bit pissed. The 23 will be worth it, but theres something wrong with it.

odie

Edit: My setup is a Win7 SP1 64bit Intel connected to a TV with 1920x1080
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 04:16:30 PM by odie »

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: A bit pissed
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 04:55:13 PM »
Hi Odie.  AGS games (of which Blackwell is one) has always been a bit finicky with running on televisions with unique monitor settings.  Part of the reason for the "remastered" edition was to upgrade to the latest version of AGS which has a lot of the compatibility issues worked out. 

Unfortunately, due to the deal we worked out with Indie Royale/Steam, the remastered versions are only available via the indie royale bundle right now.  Once the games officially launch on Steam on Jan 13th, then the remastered versions will be available to everybody who has purchased the games in the past.

Anyway, sorry you had so many troubles with this.  If you like, I can refund you 3.01 off the Blackwell Bundle purchase.

-Dave

Offline odie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 04:27:54 PM »
Hi Dave,

thanks a lot. No refund please, everything is ok ;) I just played through Legacy and enjoyed it.

Hope you can fix it, it's a bit annoying for those you buy the bundle and get an older version than others.

Odie

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 04:30:02 PM »
Technically, it's already fixed!  We just have to wait until the "official" release date.  But I'm going to be adding a bunch of new features anyway, like achievements and extra commentary for Unbound and Convergence, so it's worth waiting anyway.

Offline Shuntis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 01:31:02 PM »
Hi,

Does this mean that my newly downloaded Steam versions (bought the bundle) will be updated at some point with the updated versions? I notice on some youtube videos the text in Legacy is higher resolution than what I am currently playing in. The default resolution seems to be 320x240 whereas I've read that it is 640x480 for others (i could be wrong of course).

Offline ProxyDamage

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 01:53:38 PM »
Hi,

Does this mean that my newly downloaded Steam versions (bought the bundle) will be updated at some point with the updated versions? I notice on some youtube videos the text in Legacy is higher resolution than what I am currently playing in. The default resolution seems to be 320x240 whereas I've read that it is 640x480 for others (i could be wrong of course).

If I understand this correctly the version you're playing on Steam now IS the updated version.

I don't know about Steam versions, but in most AGS games you can find the winsetup in the game's folder, and use it to configure resolutions and such. Just remember that that's AGS, and not necessarily Blackwell... So remember where everything you change is by default, because some things may not work properly.

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 02:02:36 PM »
Ironically, the updated version of the game has downgraded fonts!  The reasons are a bit technical, but read on...

The older versions of AGS allowed you to use high-res fonts in low-res games.  Oddly enough, this wasn't by design.  It was a "bug" in the engine that allowed the developers to do this.  When AGS was upgraded, that "bug" was fixed and we could no longer use those nice high-res fonts.

For Blackwell Deception we cheated and doubled-up all of the art from 320 x 240 to 640 x 480 for the express purpose of using high-res fonts.  I couldn't do this for the older games, so when I brought them into the new engine the only way to make the text look halfway decent was to use the lower res fonts.

Er... hope that made sense!

-Dave

Offline Shuntis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 03:06:34 PM »
Aaaah, thank you that makes perfect sense, thank you for explaining :)

I am enjoying your games so far, I tried the demo of Deception when I saw the bundle came out and decided to buy the whole lot. I had a sudden hankering for a point and click adventure game but wanted to play something new as I've played pretty much every old school point and click adventure ever made 5,000 times.

Thanks for the opportunity to play something that so far is on par with some of the best I've played from some of the bigger games developers. Just goes to show that indie games can have just as much quality as those made by mainstream game makers.