Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Another question for the fans: Blackwell upgraded!  (Read 31677 times)

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Another question for the fans: Blackwell upgraded!
« on: October 31, 2011, 11:36:26 AM »
Hullo!

I've decided to go back and integrate all the previous Blackwell games to the current version of the AGS engine.  There are bunches of logistical issues, like  some programming commands used in Legacy not being compatible with the latest version of the engine (that dog leash plagues me yet again), but it's slowly coming together.

I'm doing this for two very important reasons.  Number one, the Steam integration plugin we made for Gemini Rue only works with the latest version of AGS.  Steam hasn't accepted Blackwell yet (we plan on pitching them again after this upgrade is done), but if they do, I wanna be ready.  Number two, if the AGS engine is ever ported to other platforms, it will be the most current version that's ported.  So again - if that happens, I want our stuff to be first in line.

So essentially, upgrading is a pre-emptive measure for potential Good Things in the future!

But since I'm mucking around in the code anyway, I figure I might as well make some improvements here and there.  So can anyone recommend any small improvements to the existing games?  Nothing big - I'm not going for a complete revamp or anything - but minor annoyances that got in your craw while playing them the first time.  Post 'em here or email them to me.

Thanks!

-Dave
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 11:38:01 AM by DaveGilbert »

Offline LilyLaura18

• View Profile
Re: Another question for the fans: Blackwell upgraded!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 12:22:32 PM »
Time to play Blackwell again!

simonwl

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 12:33:04 PM »
Running the game on Windows 7 64bit, I remember a small bug in Blackwell Deception towards the end. [Spoiler Warning]

When having selected Joey and right-clicking the door in the closet, nothing would happen except for his portrait showing up for a split second as well as black square in the lower right of the screen.

fathamburger

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 01:31:38 PM »
LOL finally I'm back on here.

No minor annoyances which is a complement to you. The game basically ran. I played through, enjoyed them, the end :) That dog leash puzzle was a bit unexpected if anything because I was used to other adventure games where its usually click rope on pole or whatever. If it came down to it I guess you could implement it that way but I'd say leave it since it's one of the things that makes your games unique

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 05:35:29 PM »
One small thing about Legacy that always bugged me:

Now looks like this:

Honestly, I don't know how I let this slide the first time around.  Forgive me.  It was my first commercial game! 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 05:37:03 PM by DaveGilbert »

BlankCanvasDJ

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 06:10:21 PM »
Does the new engine work in widescreen? Because that would be nice.

Offline Mad Manny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 12:29:12 AM »
*Native 64-bit- and SLI- support.
*Destructible environments.
*Procedurally generated stories so you can replay the game hundreds of times without ever getting the same story-line!
*Integrate puzzles into your smartphone so if you believe there to be a ghost in the park you actually have to travel to that NYC park IRL and take a picture with your GPS-enabled smartphone which would then composite that ghost-sprite into the picture.
*Rosa shower-scene! (what, Joey just looks away every time?!?)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 12:31:34 AM by Mad Manny »
Check out my blog about my crazy adventures making adventure games in China: http://Niberspace.com/blog/

Offline frederic09

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 04:51:33 AM »
Hi Dave,

What about adding english subtitles lines on the letters for a future language translation? (The player click on the current letter to see the subtitles).
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 04:53:30 AM by frederic09 »

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 07:57:18 AM »
*Native 64-bit- and SLI- support.
*Destructible environments.
*Procedurally generated stories so you can replay the game hundreds of times without ever getting the same story-line!
*Integrate puzzles into your smartphone so if you believe there to be a ghost in the park you actually have to travel to that NYC park IRL and take a picture with your GPS-enabled smartphone which would then composite that ghost-sprite into the picture.
*Rosa shower-scene! (what, Joey just looks away every time?!?)

Hah.  Don't forget wind physics so Joey can blow everything anywhere. 

What about adding english subtitles lines on the letters for a future language translation? (The player click on the current letter to see the subtitles).

Oh yeah.  Good idea.  When I made Legacy and Unbound, I committed a big no-no by burning a lot of English text into the graphics, which makes it very difficult to translate later.  Rather than clicking on the letter to see the subtitles, I'll just update it so the text in the letters is generated by the game, instead of by pre-made graphics.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 08:03:08 AM by DaveGilbert »

Linnet

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 02:47:15 AM »
There was a bug in legacy regarding the name Alex.  If you made the connection in the hospital when you needed the name, it broke the game.

Offline arj0n

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 09:59:02 AM »
So the previous Blackwell games on the Blackwell Deception DVD are in an older AGS version? Can those who have purchased the DVD grab the updated version of the previous Blackwells once they are integrated into the current AGS version?

Regards,
Arj0n

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 10:02:14 AM »
Yep!

Offline arj0n

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 10:55:40 AM »
 :)

CountCant

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 03:53:29 PM »
May I ask when the upgraded versions will become available to people who bought the originals here?

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 04:17:07 PM »
The "official" release will be in a month, and it will coincide with the launch on Steam.  It will be a better version anyway.  It will include achievements and all that good stuff. :)