Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Another question for the fans: Blackwell upgraded!  (Read 10379 times)

Offline CountCant

• View Profile
Re: Another question for the fans: Blackwell upgraded!
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 05:10:28 PM »
Thanks!  :)

Offline BlankCanvasDJ

• View Profile
    • DanielRubinstein.com
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2011, 12:37:25 AM »
Dave,

What are the new voiceovers?

Offline JohnnyW

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2011, 12:52:57 AM »
Loving playing these through again. Would love to know more about what you've changed. I notice there's different line readings for Rosa's character. Rosa seems less whiney that she did before (in Legacy), not that it bugged me before, but there's also subtle changes in her delivery.

For example, in the original when she says, "at least it's something" during the opening, she sounds upbeat. In the remastered version she sounds less convinced. Overall I think she does a better performance this time around, though.

Who else have you changed?

Offline besterp12

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2011, 12:56:18 AM »
I think the Voice changes may be limited to bringing in Rebecca Whitaker in to do Rosa's lines instead of the original VA they had for Legacy.

Kind of a good idea continuity wise.

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2011, 09:24:46 AM »
Yeah, Rebecca Whittaker as Rosa is the only major VO change for Legacy.  Mostly for consistency, but also because I wanted to change some of her dialog and add a bunch of hotspots here and there (something I neglected to do the first time around).  It's not drastically different, but since I was diving into the code anyway to upgrade the game to AGS 3.2 I figured I might as well do that, at least.

Offline besterp12

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2011, 02:07:15 PM »
Just finished it.  Thank you for the updated version.  The new commentary was intersting.  As far as your infodump complaints go...   "Neverhood's cave of infinity" and other things are way worse, but then I just grew up on the older games.

Re: letters, One thing I always liked about some Sierra CD games is that they'd let you click on letters and a narrator or character would read them to you, but Sierra had enough time/money to do insane things like have all narration in Shadows of Darkness voiced.  (Seriously, when your narrator later goes on to describe your game as the "CD-ROM from hell"...)

As long as it's in a nice readable font, most of us older gamers can deal, but it's better when devs can find other ways to do it.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 02:46:36 AM by besterp12 »

Offline JohnnyW

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2011, 06:07:14 PM »
Yeah, Rebecca Whittaker as Rosa is the only major VO change for Legacy.  Mostly for consistency, but also because I wanted to change some of her dialog and add a bunch of hotspots here and there (something I neglected to do the first time around).  It's not drastically different, but since I was diving into the code anyway to upgrade the game to AGS 3.2 I figured I might as well do that, at least.

What about the other games... You're being a bit coy about revealing your changes, I think! :)

Also, another minor change: The opening credits of Legacy have their font stretched widthways. Can't understand why, but it's there.

Anyways, loving these games all over again! Thanks.

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2011, 06:31:15 PM »
Honestly?  Because there aren't any major changes for the rest of the games. :)  Convergence has the black-window-behind-text thing, and Unbound was recompiled with the latest version of AGS, and that's about all. 

I'm going to be adding achievements and such for the Steam release on Jan 13th, and possibly more commentary if people aren't sick of hearing my voice.

As for that stretchy logo thing... do you have a screenshot?  I'd like to compare it with the version I have on my computer.  It might have something to do with your monitor settings.  Have you tried running it in windowed mode and seeing if it does the same thing?

-Dave

edit: And besterp12: Thanks!  I didn't channel George Lucas enough to go back and change every thing that bothered me, but I'd never put such a massive infodump in a game now!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 06:33:07 PM by DaveGilbert »

Offline JohnBigOz

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2011, 11:15:13 AM »
Honestly?  Because there aren't any major changes for the rest of the games. :)  Convergence has the black-window-behind-text thing, and Unbound was recompiled with the latest version of AGS, and that's about all. 

I'm going to be adding achievements and such for the Steam release on Jan 13th, and possibly more commentary if people aren't sick of hearing my voice.

As for that stretchy logo thing... do you have a screenshot?  I'd like to compare it with the version I have on my computer.  It might have something to do with your monitor settings.  Have you tried running it in windowed mode and seeing if it does the same thing?

-Dave

edit: And besterp12: Thanks!  I didn't channel George Lucas enough to go back and change every thing that bothered me, but I'd never put such a massive infodump in a game now!

Achivements? YAY! I Love those! Yay!

And while i don't wanna come across mean to the original voice of Rosangela, the original actress... her work wasn't "quality", it felt like she had no emotion, iher voice always bothered me.

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2011, 11:19:50 AM »

Rest assured there will be a "Medium Well-Done" achievement, because I love that awful pun.

Offline JohnBigOz

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2011, 12:36:36 PM »

Rest assured there will be a "Medium Well-Done" achievement, because I love that awful pun.

I don't care, achievements are achievements :D love them nonethless, I hate the difficult ones though xD.

Offline besterp12

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2011, 01:56:05 AM »
Makes sense, the older adventure games basically did the same thing with giving you a score of X out of Y when you finished the game to let you know if you got everything.  So they basically always had them in some form.

I doubt anyone is going to be adding actual achievements to the sierra games or put a full infocom collection up with steamworks integration

Can't wait to see what you come up with for the Blackwell games.  Though I kind of hope one is "Name achieved Blackwell Legacy: Think About it".
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 02:01:46 AM by besterp12 »

Offline CountCant

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2012, 02:08:21 PM »
The promo mail for the Steam release mentions that all existing customers will get a free Steam voucher. Does that mean the updates will only be available via Steam or will the DRM-free versions that were distributed by Indie Royale be available on this site, too? 

Offline JohnnyW

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2012, 08:33:57 AM »

Here you go:

Offline CountCant

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2012, 03:30:34 PM »
The promo mail for the Steam release mentions that all existing customers will get a free Steam voucher. Does that mean the updates will only be available via Steam or will the DRM-free versions that were distributed by Indie Royale be available on this site, too?

*bumping my question*

Will there be any stand-alone versions of the updates that don't require a Steam account? Or are the new versions only available via Steam?