Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Yet another Dave and Ron connection (tenuous as it may be)?  (Read 2983 times)

Talco

Yet another Dave and Ron connection (tenuous as it may be)?
« on: October 17, 2011, 10:35:06 AM »
*POSSIBLE SPOILERS ALERT*

So, back in the day everyone immediately recognized the homage to Monkey Island towards the ending of The Shivah, a la insult sword-fighting.

Now with the release of Blackwell Deception I believe I've come across yet another link between the Gilberts (Ron and Dave). I'm not saying it's groundbreaking or anything, pretty trivial actually, so please bear with me: 

During the course of helping Jamie's ghost, we find out that as a living girl she loved reading William Ashbless, who 'authored' The Anubis Gates. The quotation  marks are there because Ashbless never wrote The Anubis Gates, in fact he never wrote anything, couldn't really due to the simple fact that he doesn't exist! In actuality, it was none other than Tim Powers who wrote that book and invented the fictional William Ashbless and his fictional works (e.g. The Twelve Hours of the Night, cited in the game by Jamie).

The relevance to Ron Gilbert? The latter revealed several years ago that his inspiration for MI was Tim Powers' other famous work, On Stranger Tides. Now don't stone me if after such a suspenseful intro it's a bit anti-climactic, just thought it'd be of interest to some of you Dave and Ron hardcore fans.  ;)

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another Dave and Ron connection (tenuous as it may be)?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 10:41:54 AM »
Heh.  Well spotted!  "Ashbless" was a reference to Tim Powers.  Tim wrote "Anubis Gates" while in the game, the book is "Anubis at the Gate."  You're the first to figure that out.  Or rather, the first to do so publically.