Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Did anyone ever discovery the indentity of "The Deacon"?  (Read 6859 times)

Offline LilyLaura18

• View Profile
Did anyone ever discovery the indentity of "The Deacon"?
« on: September 20, 2011, 06:25:52 AM »
I happened upon Blackwell Convergence after playing and thoroughly enjoying another of Dave's games, ECC. Only recently did I play The Blackwell Legacy, and after listening to the commentary, wondered if anyone had correctly guessed the identity of "The Deacon", who is mentioned by Joe Gould (who, too, was a real person) in Convergence and is the second ghost Rosa meets in Legacy.

It's been seven years since the release of Legacy, and so I assume someone must've gotten it by now. Who was he?

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Did anyone ever discovery the indentity of "The Deacon"?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 07:17:15 AM »
The Deacon and the Countess get described by Joe Gould in the book "Joe Gould's Secret" by Joseph Mitchell.  They get only brief mentions, and I extrapolated from there. :)

Offline LilyLaura18

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 10:56:02 AM »
I just researched that. It was even made into film!

What inspired you to use real-life "greats" like Joe Gould and Joseph Mitchell? And why specifically those two?

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 11:16:45 AM »
It's hard to say, exactly.  I learned about Gould when I visited the Minetta (and saw that awesome portrait), and in reading about him I also learned about Mitchell.  I became really interested in the story.  The fact that Mitchell stopped writing completely after he finished his book about Joe Gould, but still went to work every day for 30 years without producing a thing, fascinated me.  It seemed like a great story to build a supernatural conspiracy around.  Eventually, I did. :)

johnnythewolf

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 09:41:40 PM »
Sorry to resurrect this topic, but I have a question on the same subject.

Mr. Gilbert, you said Joe Gould's Secret was the last thing Joseph Mitchell ever published. I did a quick research and it appears Joe Gould died in 1957, and his biography was released in 1965.

However, in the (thankfully) fictional universe of the Blackwell series, the Countess would kill anyone Joseph Mitchell writes about. Is she supposed to have killed Joe Gould? It's sort of confusing, because, in Unbound, Mitchell claims to have stopped writing after realizing his newspaper articles caused people to die. Where does Joe Gould's Secret fit in all this?

Thanks in advance.

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 07:21:59 AM »
Hi Johnny.   Oddly enough, I did think about this. :)  If you read the biography, you'll know that Joe Gould only wrote about himself for most of his life (as well as his dead father).  So that didn't count.  When he died, the power passed to Mitchell. Mitchell then wrote Joe Gould's Secret, and after that he began to notice that people would die when he wrote about them. 

In Unbound, Mitchell says that he "probably revealed one secret too many."  In reading interviews with Mitchell, I always got the impression he felt a bit guilty about revealing Gould's secret, and so this newfound "power" was punishment for it.

Does that help?

-Dave

johnnythewolf

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 04:42:34 PM »
So in the Blackwell universe, Joe Gould's insanity and writer's block may or may not have been caused by the realization of his connection with the Countess, while Joseph Mitchell's "killing spree" - for lack of better terms - is supposed to have begun shortly after the publication of "Joe Gould's Secret". Am I getting this right?

In any case, it's always a pleasure to discuss with an author about his work. :)

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 07:48:10 PM »
Yeah.  Mitchell wrote Joe Gould's Secret soon after Gould died, and it's a known fact that Mitchell never wrote (or at least published!) anything else after that.  When Gould died the power passed to Mitchell, and then to Charlie Meltzer.