Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Blackwell Deception is now available!  (Read 33892 times)

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Blackwell Deception is now available!
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2011, 02:54:44 PM »
Hi Akari.  I'm still debating whether or not to go to BFG or not.  It's a long story, and involves some NDA issues which I can't get into right now, but BFG's low price points are a major concern for the direction we are going in.  This "new direction" will become clear in about two weeks.  But if we do go on BFG, it won't be for a few months at least. 

Offline susansuth

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2011, 03:36:23 PM »
I just finished the game (after, uh, going to bed WAY too late last night and immediately working on it again after getting up  ;D).

Fantastic!!  And I have to say that Jamie's story, especially, made me sad.  I really liked that character.  It's too bad she was so unhappy and died.  :(

And more about Joey!  Hoo-ya!  :)  Not enough, of course, but I was really, really excited to get a little tidbit about him.  And I was glad to see some old favorites mentioned again.  ;)

But you really freaked me out near the end there!!!   :o

And now, I'm hankering for more and have to wait...so.  very.  long.  for the next installment!!!

Terrific game, Dave.  Your storytelling skills are absolutely top-notch.  :)

kemmccauley

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2011, 10:29:32 PM »
Hey Dave did you know that your a member of the millionaire jetsetters club as well as the playboy club in New York according to the game?  I was trying to find a name on the phone and I happened to type in yours to see what would happen and that is what came up.  LOL!!

Kem

Offline Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2011, 11:51:25 AM »
oh :(
then i will have to consider buying it here, pity there not much time left to order a dvd

keregioz

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2011, 03:00:32 PM »
I started playing the game yesterday and it's great so far.
Some criticism:
I was disappointed with the quality of the graphics, they're kinda average, especially compared to the graphics on Blackwell convergence which were amazing. I can honestly say that it was one of the most visually impressive 320x200 games I've ever played. I assume that for some reason you weren't able to work with the same artist on "deception" which is a shame. I really hope he'll be back on any future releases.
One other thing, which maybe is just a personal gripe I have, the guy that is singing "aaahh eeehhh ahhhh" in a couple of background music themes annoys the crap out of me. Thank god it's only in a couple locations that you don't have to stay too long or I would honestly preferred to turn the music off altogether.
Other than that, the basic reason I keep playing your games, which is good writing/storytelling, is still there and in the end that's what counts for me.

That's all, I'm off to finish the game now. :)

Offline Ilyich

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2011, 09:11:18 PM »
Just dropping by to say congratulations on releasing another indie gem!

Maybe it isn't my favourite game of the series (probably due to the simpler graphics and a lower degree of New York-ishness), but it's definitely the best designed one - the flow, the puzzles and the character dynamics are at a new high here, and that's what makes it such a joy to play. The script is great, as usual,  and the voiceacting sounds a lot better with the new mic.

All in all - it's a very welcome addition to the series, and I'm really looking forward to the next one. Ones. Thank you and good luck!

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2011, 07:36:44 AM »
Maybe it isn't my favourite game of the series (probably due to the simpler graphics and a lower degree of New York-ishness),

Funny, I realized this while we were making it.  Indrek (the background artist) was like "Oh look, another living room and/or office to draw!"  I suppose in a game like Blackwell, it's harder to justify meeting people on the street.  I'll see if I can rectify that next time. :)

Offline Jackie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2011, 05:40:57 PM »
Maybe Joey & Rosa can take a train/subway to somewhere and encounter a ghost who rides it from station a to station b, turns around and gets back on to go back to station a.    lol  I think the nightclub scene, it was done really great.

kemmccauley

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2011, 06:24:31 PM »
i personally enjoyed making Joey try to pick things up knowing that he couldn't and listening to how mad he would get when I wanted him to try.  I don't know why that thrilled me so much when I was frustrated during the game.  Maybe I have ghost issues that I don't know about. LOL!!

Kem

CrimsonKnight

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2011, 09:47:43 PM »
Did anybody find it strange that when Joey goes somewhere by himself Rosa automatically knows what he's seen? This has probably always been present in other blackwell games, I just thought it stuck out moreso in Deception.

I thought it might have been an issue of production speed, ie. having Joey come back to Rosa and say "I saw this" would be a waste of player time.

I also thought it might be a function of the spirit/guide relationship, a mystical aspect neither of the characters realise yet.

Offline arj0n

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2011, 09:52:38 AM »
DVD just arrived 2 days ago, awesome!

Thanx Dave!

Grimm

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2011, 10:54:33 PM »
Yet another thank-you and congratulations on the job well done, Mr Gilbert!

Deception was simply sublime, along with Gemini Rue, it's the best adventure game of the year. After finishing it, I just had to write about it. So, I did. The review is in Polish, though ;)

To summarize: great storyline, neat voice-acting, user-friendly interface, puzzles with logical solutions, and above all - great "retro" feel. Now I have to play all other Blackwell titles.

And that's my second game from Wadjet Eye, a returning costumer is always a great sign, right? ;)

Take care and keep up the good work!

Midnight_Knight

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2011, 02:09:08 PM »
Hi,Dave.The Blackwell deception is great,realy great piece of artwok..:-)With all the commentary and babbles it brings back so much memories,that I searched my archive and then two days was playing all "old" Blackwell games(with listening all the comentaries it take long time to the end).Ya know,I was never in NY and always takes it just like a big anonymous city,but due to all comments about the game locations-where it is,why You choose just this location and not another-it now feels ,well,friendly to me,like I lived there for many years.Thanks..:-)By the way,have you any plan,which fate awaits Rose in her future..dementia..or will she survive..?..:-))..Oh yes,just one thing,in each Blackwell game i  always searched comp or Golden pages for Dave Gilbert,Chris Jones(and many other characters ot events),in each game found some results,only for Abe Goldfarb,the main voice protagonist,there were no clues..pitty,i think..
MK